Laguna los Tres is one of the jewels of El Chalten.
To reach this lagoon, one can start directly from the Argentine village. My personal advice is to take a shuttle bus that can take you all the way to Hosteria El Pilar. The result will be a trek will be circular and not just a round trip.
After an hour or so of relatively flat walking we arrive at the first mirador, with the Piedras Blancas glacier just below Fitz Roy. From here to Laguna Los Tres you have to climb steadily for about 300 meters-the final scenery repays the effort!
When I arrived at the lagoon, Fitz Roy was a bit covered by clouds. I waited for a while, took a very quick swim (the water is, as easy to imagine, quite icy) and then finally saw Fitz Roy without clouds! With an extra 5 minutes of walking I went to a second mirador: Laguna Sucia and Laguna Los Tres together are wonderful!
For the return trip, I no longer passed by Hostaria el Pilar but used the trail that leads directly to El Chalten. In this way I passed by other beautiful lagoons, such as Laguna Madre and Laguna Hija. Wonderful day!
- This is a slightly more challenging trek than the one leading to Laguna Torre. In fact, although the distance is more or less similar,
The elevation gain of this trek is more challenging, especially in the final half hour leading to Laguna Los Tres.
- This is a sensational trek: although it is more difficult than the Laguna Torre trek, everyone can complete it, as there is no technical difficulty to report.
- As mentioned in the description, I recommend starting the trek from Hostaria el Pilar: you need to book the shuttle at least a couple of days in advance (I found the last available seat).
- It is absolutely recommended to go to the viewpoint that allows you to see Laguna Sucia, Fitz Roy and Laguna Los Tres: splendid!
- The recommended season coincides with the typical season of Argentine Patagonia: December to late March.
- This trek can be connected with The one that leads to Laguna Torre
- El Chalten is a wonderful town, built in 1985. It can be reached by bus about three hours from Calafate, which is served by an airport. In El Chalten you can find many restaurants and especially many breweries, many of which are craft breweries. In El Chalten I slept at Hostal de Trivi and Hostel Aylen Aike: both highly recommended. El Chalten deserves at least three or four days, so many hikes (not forgetting the visit to Glaciar Viedma, splendid!).
- This trek is part of a wonderful patagonian itinerary